See other products in
» Gentle Leader
Gentle Leader Head Collar
The Gentle Leader Headcollar has been specifically designed by beaphar to work with your dog's natural instincts, to allow you to control unwanted behaviour, regardless of breed, size or age of your dog. The gentle leader patented design is recommended by many leading trainers, vets and behaviourists around the world and will allow you to control, train and manage the behaviour of your dog so that you are no longer pulled on walks!
Are the Gentle Leader fitting instructions easy to follow?
A gentle leader headcollar is easy to fit and is supplied with simple to follow instructions, explaining how to adjust the fitting of the head collar so that it comfortably fits to the contours of your dog's face. The gentle leader should fit securely around you dogs nose and head, but please allow one finger to fit under the nylon straps behind ears, so that the head collar fits snugly and allows your dog to pant easily.
The nylon strap around your dog's nose should also be positioned no closer than 15mm from your dogs eyes, ideally behind the corners of your dog's mouth and the sliding clip under the chin should be adjusted so that one finger fits underneath, so that the gentle leader can't be pulled off your dog's nose if your dog pulls forward.
Unlike other head collars or halti's the Gentle Leader has the following features:
- Won't come off over your dog's head
- An adjustable nose loop for a custom fit
- There's no need for safety straps or awkward double leasing
- Coverts to a traditional collar when pulling is no longer a problem
What sizes are available for the Gentle Leader?
There are currently 3 sizes of gentle leader that will comfortably fit most popular breeds from small to large dogs, for example:
Small Gentle Leader
Breed sizes - Westie, Yorkie, Jack Russell, Toy Poodle, Lhasa Apso
Also suitable for Medium/Large Puppies
Medium Gentle Leader
Breed Sizes - Labrador, Cocker & Springer Spaniels, German Shepherd, Boxer, Retriever, Dobermann, Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Large Gentle Leader
Breed Sizes - Large German Shepherd, Large Labrador, Rottweiler, Great Dane, Newfoundland
How quickly will my dog adjust to wearing the Gentle Leader?
Most dogs will take approximately a week or so to adjust to the sensation of wearing a gentle leader head collar, but we have listed some helpful step by step tips below to make training as easy as possible:
1) Always have treats available, to help distract your dog or puppy when wearing the head collar and to reward good behaviour.
2) Hold a treat in your hand and allow them to nibble at the tasty reward, if this helps you to distract them from fitting the gentle leader, but once fitted give them the whole treat, never tease them.
3) Owners sometimes find it helpful, if they initially associate the gentle leader with having fun only, so we suggest you adjust and fit the head collar accordingly and then play with them or allow your dog to play with their favourite toy for several minutes before removing the collar.
4) Repeat the above two steps 3 or 4 times a day so that your dog acclimatises to wearing the gentle leader and associates the collar we having fun with their owners and nothing to be concerned about.
5) When your dog or puppy is completely oblivious to wearing the gentle leader and pays no attention to it for atleast five minutes, the next step is to attach a lead to the head collar and again play with them or allow them to play with their favourite toy to draw their attention away from the collar.
6) Once you feel your dog is happy wearing the gentle leader with a lead attached, you can gradually build up the amount of time spent wearing the collar and take your dog or puppy on short walks.
7) Please don't rush this process as you want your dog to associate the gentle leader with having fun, so don't try to achieve all the above steps too quickly as the aim is to be able to train and control your dog or puppy on walks with ease and without any undue stress or drama!